Thursday, February 19, 2009

The filling is the most important part anyway, right?



Today's Home Food is a cautionary tale.

Perhaps there is some broader life lesson in what I'm about to say, but it's also pretty useful as a literal piece of advice: Don't try to make ravioli if you don't have a pasta machine.

Here's the deal: Yesterday was my birthday and I thought it would be fun if Bob and I cooked something from scratch together for dinner. I've made fresh fettuccine before but have always wanted to try something with filling. I had an idea for butternut squash ravioli with lots of herbs and cheese--it sounded so good. I found any old pasta dough recipe online (mistake #1). I won't reveal the identity of this so-called food blogger because the result was, as Bob described it, a good raw material for the creation of leather goods.

Now, if we had a pasta machine and all the time in the world to crank away, the results probably would have been fine. But as all I have is a rolling pin and a husband willing (within reason) to earn his keep, rolling these suckers out was a long, arduous process--for him. I stood idly by advising him and sniffing my beautiful birthday flowers. Pasta dough (or at least this pasta dough) is really tough and the more you roll it the more it just sort of migrates back to itself. You can get it only so thin without the machine.

When we finally did get a semi-thin sheet, I realized I had nothing to cut the pieces out with except a heart-shaped cookie cutter. So it was all becoming more ridiculous by the minute.

What I have for you today is a really good recipe for ravioli filling. As I was mixing it up I tasted it and said, "God, I could eat this all by itself." I would have been well-advised to heed that instinct.


Home Food Butternut Squash Ravioli Filling

Serve in one big bowl with two spoons.

Cut a butternut squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Brush with olive oil and roast in the oven cut side down about 45 minutes at 400. Check for tenderness with a knife blade. When it's done, remove and let cool.

Melt some butter in a pan. Maybe 1-2 tablespoons. Scoop squash into the pan and saute in the butter. This will help reduce away the moisture if it is too soupy. Add 1 clove garlic finely chopped, 2 teaspoons or more of fresh thyme, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, and 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese. Stir until combined and remove from heat. Allow it to cool.

If you dare, roll out some pasta dough and add filling. We tossed the finished product in a little more melted butter and herbs, more cheese and some toasted walnuts.

I think I will make soup with the leftover filling. There's quite a lot of it as two hours of hard labor yielded only nine raviolis. Good thing it was burrito night at Jane Bond.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, those are the cutest leather-oli I've ever seen!

    If you have the will to go on, you might repurpose the filling to go inside wonton skins. Then you can bake them in a hot oven and get crispy ravioli for serving in broth. Also, these freeze.

    I can't wait until you get a pasta machine though so I can learn how to do that through you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didn't know you had a food blog! sorry the ravioli didn't workout, but the filling does sound yummy. i've been on a butternut squash soup kick lately. it would be nice to try making other BS dishes. i have been thinking about making homemade pasta and now know to get a pasta machine first. i was thinking about making gnocchi this weekend. have you made gnocchi before?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bossy Pasta Advice form your Italian Cousin-in-Law:

    First, you must get an old-fashioned pasta machine, the simple kind that requires no electricity (in case you need to make pasta in a blackout, of course). They are ridiculously easy to use--I learned in 6th grade, when I lived in Italy.

    Second--and you must do this consecutively--you need, if you haven't yet, to read The Lost Ravioli Recipes of Hoboken, in which the author scours her family history for the perfect ancestral ravioli. The reason you have to read this second (after you purchase and are therefore invested in your machine) is that she insists on rolling hers by hand, which is nuts.

    BTW, did you use semolina flour? I've heard that helps, though I've always used All-Purpose and still had a soft, bouncy dough--baby bottom, as they say, despite the infelicity of the image.

    My favorite pasta recipe is in the Greens cookbook. Their spinach lasagna is literally melt-in-your-mouth.

    ReplyDelete