Thursday, February 19, 2009

Butternut Squash Day Two

I felt a little cheated after not getting to eat very much of my brilliant ravioli filling from yesterday, but I didn't fret because I knew I could turn it into something equally brilliant today.

Home Food Waste Not Want Not Soup

Take 1 1/2 cups filling left over from a ravioli disaster or mix together:

Flesh of one butternut squash
1 clove garlic minced
2 teaspoons fresh thyme
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Set aide.

In a big pan, melt 2 tbsp butter or olive oil. I like butter for fruity soups. Add one finely chopped onion and cook until soft. I do not like undercooked onion, so I let it go a long time, but it probably makes no difference.

Add another minced clove of garlic and one granny smith apple chopped fine. Saute this all together until the apple gets soft and fragrant. Add the ravioli filling and splash in a little water or broth. Let this heat up and combine. It will be very thick.

Transfer to the processor and puree until smooth. Transfer back into the pan, add salt and pepper and about one cup more broth. At this point I thought it was still too thick, so I added about 3/4 cup milk (give or take) and maybe 1/2 cup yogurt. I challenge you to give me a recipe that is not improved by yogurt. It doesn't exist. You could also use coconut milk as with the pumpkin soup from a couple weeks ago. Oh, and don't forget a splash of sherry.

Add one can of well-rinsed black beans, which go phenomenally well with sweet things like squash and sweet potatoes, in my humble opinion. Bring to a boil and simmer. If it's too thin, boil off some liquid; too thick, add more.

You will know it's done when you are pacing around the kitchen with drool on your chin because it smells so good.

If you are not completely undone by ravenous hunger, make some cornbread. If you are still riding the coattails of birthday laziness like me, open a bag of tortilla chips and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment