Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Breakfast for Dinner

Last night with no meat in the house and a car stuck in the snow, I decided instead of crafting clever death threats and sending them to our no-good landlord from hell (who has not once this winter plowed the parking lot), I would cultivate inner peace in the form of breakfast for dinner.

Scrambled eggs with cheese and broccoli. I don't need to tell you how to do this.

But this was the real centerpiece of the meal: Oatcakes with yogurt and apples.

I love pancakes. I recently had some at a Tennessee Cracker Barrel over the holidays, when we drove all over the southeast and I was feeling a little like I had violated so many of my own food rules that nothing mattered anymore and I might as well jump right off the cliff. And they tasted so wonderful--like clouds made of butter.

About ten minutes later, though, I honestly felt high from carb overload. Between all that white flour and the high fructose corn syrup-based "maple syrup" on the table, I felt like I might just let Bob drive through the North Carolina Piedmont while I ran alongside the car.

We got back on the road, and about an hour later, I fell into a deep coma in the passenger seat. Bob poked me with my knitting needle a couple times, but I did not stir. When I finally woke up I couldn't remember my name and didn't recognize him. He drove around until he found a grocery store, brought some broccoli to the car, and after a few bites I came to. Then the weeping started.

Turns out there is such a thing as too many carbs.

But last night's pancakes were something different. I started with this recipe for Whole Wheat Oatmeal Pancakes, but I didn't have any buttermilk. So instead I used plain yogurt thinned with a little milk. I also wanted some fruit in there, so I diced up half a granny smith apple with the skin left on very fine. Pear would have worked too and maybe better because it would have mushed down a bit more.

Bob saw the batter with the oats soaking in the yogurt and said, "What is that?"

"It's a real recipe--I promise," I said.

"Have I ever doubted you?" he asked. And isn't he glad he hasn't!

They weren't the most beautiful things--they probably could have used a little more liquid due to the addition of the apples--but holy cow. Please take the rest of the afternoon off work and go make them. I can't believe I didn't think of this last night, but they would be good with a little yogurt spread on top or just syrup, or just plain. I am so sad that I already ate all the leftovers.

1 comment:

  1. I would like to order 2 dozen pancakes, please. Please ship overnight.

    ReplyDelete